ASEA AFSCME Local 52 Health Benefits Trust is in Alaska

Quick Links

Developed in conjunction with Joomla extensions.

Click to print page contents Click to email article You are not logged in


ASEA Health Trust Benefits

  • Enroll your new dependent for health care coverage within 60 days of birth, placement for adoption or foster care, or marriage. To enroll your eligible child, submit a new Family Information Form and provide proof of dependent status.

    Eligible dependents include your children, or children of your spouse, from birth to age 26. Please see the Eligibility section of the Plan Booklet for details concerning natural and adopted children as well as stepchildren, foster children, and other dependents.
  • Change your plan selection, if you are currently enrolled in an employee-only plan. Submit a new Flexible Benefits Enrollment Form. Your newborn or newly adopted child will automatically be covered, regardless of your plan selection, for 31 days. If you are covered under an employee-only plan option, you must notify the Trust of the birth or adoption and elect a family plan option, unless your newly acquired dependent has other health coverage. If you change your plan selection, the change will be effective retroactive to the date of the birth or adoption.

    For additional information about enrolling your dependents outside of the annual Open Enrollment period, see the Changing Benefits section of this website and review the Qualifying Events section of the Plan Booklet.
  • Notify the Health Trust if your child is covered under another group health plan (such as your spouse’s). The Health Trust will coordinate benefits with the other plan. To learn about this provision, see the Coordination of Benefits section of this website. Please complete the Other Coverage Statement Form and provide the Health Trust information about their coverage.
  • If you or your spouse is pregnant, familiarize yourself with the Health Trust’s well-baby care benefits. Your Health Plan covers well-baby care. For more information, refer to the Preventive Care section of the Plan Booklet.

State Of Alaska Retirement & Employee Benefits

NOTE: Trust benefits are separate from those offered through the State of Alaska Division of Retirement and Benefits.

  • Find out your rights under the Alaska Family Leave Act (AFLA) and the federal Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). You may be eligible for a leave of absence for pregnancy, childbirth or adoption. See the Family Medical Leave Employee Packet for details.
  • Complete a new W-4 Form to withhold the correct federal income tax from your pay. Consider completing a new W-4 Form whenever your personal or financial situation changes.
  • Update your Life Insurance and Retirement Benefits beneficiaries.
  • Save money on childcare with a Dependent Care Assistance Plan (DCAP). A DCAP allows you to set aside money to pay for certain day care expenses on a tax-free basis. Get more information and learn how you can take advantage of this benefit.

ASEA Legal Services Trust

  • Consult an attorney if you are facing adoption or custody issues. ASEA Legal Services Trust pays for covered legal services for eligible GGU employees up to an annual benefit limit. ASEA Legal Services can also help you prepare or update your will, set up a trust fund for a child, and more.

Additional Resources

  • Get valuable information on parenting topics. Tap into a wealth of resources available to you through the Health Trust’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Aetna Resources for Living. Go to, enter User ID: ASEA; Password: eap, then choose “Family.”
  • Locate a pediatrician for your child’s health care. Alaska Regional Hospital’s free physician referral service can help you. Call 264-1722 or 888-254-7884 (toll-free) 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Or, search for an Aetna PPO provider near you, which could save you money!
  • Learn about Alaska’s public services for children and families. Visit the State of Alaska’s Office of Children’s Services to read about the programs and resources available to help strengthen Alaska’s children and families.
  • Find out what you need to know about Social Security and your child. The Social Security Administration explains everything (including the most popular baby names each year!) at Social Security Information for Parents and Guardians.

You will be logged out in 10 minutes.

Click "Keep me logged in" to remain on the secure site or "Log me out" to log out now.