The membership of ASEA/AFSCME Local 52 elects six Trustees from the State of Alaska General Governmental Unit (GGU) to serve a term of four years as follows:
- At Large - Two Trustees elected by ballot of the members of good standing
- Central (Anchorage) Region - One Trustee elected by ballot of the members in good standing in the Central (Anchorage) Region
- Southeast (Juneau) Region - One Trustee elected by ballot of the members in good standing in the Southeast (Juneau) Region
- Northern (Fairbanks) Region) - One Trustee elected by ballot of the members of good standing in the Northern (Fairbanks) Region
- Rural/Bush Region - One Trustee elected by ballot by the members of good standing in the Rural/Bush Region
Trustee elections take place in September of each year. There is no prohibition against serving multiple terms.
Trustee positions for non-GGU employee groups may be allowed at the discretion of the Board of Trustees and as defined in the Trust Agreement.
To be eligible for election to the Board of Trustees, you must be a member in good standing from the ASEA/AFSCME Local 52 Bargaining Unit, State of Alaska General Governmental Unit (GGU) and an ASEA/AFSCME Local 52 Health Benefits Trust participant in one of the following statuses:
- On leave-of-absence
- On layoff as an employee of an employer contributing to the ASEA Health Trust
Your Commitment as a Trustee
- Trustees attend four two-day board meetings and one three-day board meeting each year; each meeting requires about eight hours of prep time.
- Each Trustee has at least one committee assignment which requires work between board meetings. These commitments can range from several hours per year to several hours per week.
- Board members communicate regularly by teleconference or one-day meetings to deal with business between regular board meetings.
- It is the duty of the Trustees is to attend the "International Foundation of Employee Benefits Plans" Trustee training and educational programs.
Interested in Becoming a Trustee?
Carefully review the following documents:
You will be required to submit a resume or statement of personal qualifications during the election nomination period in order to be eligible to run for an ASEA/AFSCME Local 52, GGU Board of Trustee position.
Trustees are governed by several policies:
- Election Policy
- Methodology for Determining a Reasonable Level of ASEA Health Trust Reserves
- Policy on Compensation Reimbursement
- Policy on Educational Conference Attendance
- Policy on Individual Trustees Requesting Information or Action
- Policy on Participant and Beneficiary Requests to View Trust Documentation
- Policy on Trustee Communications with Participants on Eligibility or Benefits Coverage
Find more information in the Trust Agreement.